Friday, February 19, 2010

Updating the Studio Space



There's nothing like having more light pour into your studio space. At least if you paint and want to see what the color really is on the canvas.

Yesterday my husband helped me install a new stained glass window and door in the studio. The window had been boarded up by the previous owner more than 5 years ago. The old door on the side of the studio was starting to come apart at the bottom. To replace it, we found another door with windows at the top and an old brass door knocker on the outside.

I don't know what took us so long to do it. I guess we thought it would be a major project. It ended up taking only about 6 hours to do it.

Now I'm thinking about making the outside of the door reflect the art and creativity that goes on inside the studio. My head is spinning with thoughts of covering the whole door in metal, but I think I will start with the panels and see where that takes me. I don't want it to rust, but would love a nice patina to evolve out of the coppers as it ages or maybe I will intentionally color it with blues and greens and see what it becomes.

3 comments:

  1. Its the personal touches that give life to the building. I love that you and Joe have made it such a creative space. I hope to see the stained glas in place before long.

    What a gift you are to Liberty Hill......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always need a place in my heart to return where I feel accepted as is. Diana, you are an angel albeit an artistic one. Love yah.

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. diana, i always feel so at home when i come to your shop and i love the creativity that it overfloes with! i loved coming there for the classes i took and hope to have the funds to return for more very soon.
    i love what you and joe have done and i too love copper and the patina it can develop over time. and, a little helping it along doesn't hurt either. i have some ideas if you'd like to hear them...i've been working with copper and patina's and find it a fabulous way to express my spirit of creativity!

    ReplyDelete